Your privacy is important to us. The Edge Benefits has built client relationships based on a foundation of trust. We are committed to protecting the privacy, confidentiality, accuracy and security of the personal information collected, used, retained and disclosed in the course of doing business with you. Only authorized personnel have access to your information and our systems and processes are designed to prevent the loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction of your personal information. When we request your personal information, we will explain the purpose and obtain your consent. We share your information only as required and in limited instances. We keep your personal information only as long as it is required.
What is considered "personal information"?
“Personal Information” means any information about an identifiable individual. Examples of what we may collect include:
- name, address, email and telephone number
- age, gender, family
- previous insurance and claims data history
- medical and health information
- employment information
- banking information
- identification numbers
Why do we need your personal information?
Prior to collecting your personal information, we will explain the purpose of our request and obtain your consent. If we require your personal information for any other reason, we will contact you, explain the new purpose and ask for your consent. We do not sell client lists and we will not share your personal information without your consent unless we are required to by law.
As part of our relationship with you, we may collect, use, retain and disclose your personal information (and that of any other person(s) whose personal information is collected as part of your application) to underwrite your application for insurance, to administer your insurance policy, to assess and process claims, and to provide you with personalized products and services, information, and advice. Purposes for which we need your personal information may include:
- to verify your identity for the purposes of conducting business
- to communicate with you by electronic means (e.g. email, telephone, fax) or regular mail
- to evaluate your coverage needs and recommend products and services tailored to you
- to determine the best premium available to you
- to assist you with the paperwork to settle your claims
- to manage reinsurance
- to meet regulatory requirements
- to detect and prevent fraud
- to conduct data analytics and market research
Who would we share information with?
We may collect, use, and disclose your personal information with others where necessary and appropriate, but only if we need to for the purposes listed above, including:
- your financial advisor, broker, or sales representative
- third parties who perform services on our behalf
- police, witnesses, medical professionals, benefits providers
- insurance reporting agencies and industry databases (such as the Insurance Bureau of Canada and the Medical Information Bureau)
What are your rights?
You have the right to:
- verify and/or change your consent preferences specific to your personal information and marketing recorded in our client system of record
- customize your preferences about how we contact you
- access your personal information and request updates or changes to it (if inaccurate)
- tell us that we cannot use or share your personal information for certain reasons
- unsubscribe from marketing emails by following the opt-out instructions contained in an email from us
If you do not provide us with your personal information, we will still do our best to provide you with our products or services; however, certain information must be provided in order to supply the requested products or services.
Public & private website security
If you visit our website to browse, or to read or download information such as company information, services, images, or press releases, we collect and store the following: the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet (for example, aol.com or bell.ca); the Internet protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using; the browser software you use and your operating system; the date and time you access our site; and the Internet address of the web site from which you linked directly to our site. We use this information to measure the number of visitors to the different sections of our site, and to help us make our site more useful.
Questions, comments or requests?
Please contact your Edge Benefits representative directly, or you may contact our Privacy Office.
The Edge Benefits Inc.
1255 Nicholson Road
Newmarket, ON L3Y 9C3